Friday, July 13, 2012

Trying Something New

Friday the 13th!!! A rumored unlucky day that brings bad luck, and even death, to those who fall pray to the superstition. I may have dodged the bad luck and black cats, but I came pretty close to death on my 6.2 mile run today!!! Southern California's weather has been a bit..... STRANGE to say the least, and we have been humid as hell and at 6:30pm... it felt like I was running in a sauna! The first 3 miles of my run felt like a warm up (no pun intended). I survived and still finished within my average pace (9:12 miles). I finished off my work out with two sets of my upper body work out. Not too bad for a post birthday workout. Needed to burn off all of my indulgent goodies!!!

As a creature of habit, I tend to find something that I like to eat, and eat it all the time!!! Cooking and Variety are NOT my strong points! However, I am setting a goal to try to make ONE new dish (breakfast, lunch or dinner) a week. As small, yet attainable goal. Tonight, I created a Vegetarian Hodgepodge

Vegetarian Hodgepodge
Recipe
1/2 cup of Progresso Lentil Soup
1/2 corn on the cob (Shaved off the cob into kernels)
6 cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
1/2 cup of zucchini squash
1/3 cup Trader Joe's Rice medley
1/4 Hass Avocado

Place all ingredients (except avocado) into a pan and let simmer for 10 minutes. Season with cayenne and black pepper to your liking.

Top with avocado, and ENJOY!


This recipe originally called for black beans instead of lentils, but I could not find any in my pantry. The can of lentil soup provided similar nutritional as the black beans and had a wonderful taste. I took the left over corn on the cob and Lentil soup and made a batch for my lunch tomorrow :). This would probably also be great served chilled as a summer salad.

Well, my work day and work out has left me exhausted... so its time to catch some oh so important ZZZZZzzzz's! Enjoy the weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment