Monday, July 30, 2012

My Very First Spin Class!

Oh, it's that time again... Time for Monday to come into the world and ruin all the fun of the weekend. Not that it means much to me, because it's technically my Friday :) Either way, I hope you all made it through your Manic Monday as smoothly as I have done mine <3

I hope you guys got to enjoy reading about my last race, because I am really enjoying the adrenaline high I am still feeling that I always get after completing a big run. The only thing that sucks about finishing a race, is that it makes me want to RUN MORE RACES!!! I've already been looking for more races to add to my already busy schedule and am left with ambivalent and longing feelings.

However, I think I found the race that I want to finish out my 2012-2013 season with. (I had to rename my challenge, because I will be running my 12th race in February... way before my June goal). I want to run the San Diego Rock n' Roll Marathon for my final event. However, I refuse to sign up for it, until I complete the Operation Jack Marathon in December.

I also found a fun run that I want to try. It's called The Color Run. Basically a 5k run where all participants are required to wear white and have PAINT thrown at them at every couple miles!!! There is one in San Diego in November, or I might wait for the July run in San Francisco (it's two days after my birthday!!!). I don't have the funds to register for anything now, so it will have to wait.

My Workout:

Either way, I had a pretty good day. Busy, but good! I decided last night that I did not want to do my Circuit Buster at home for Cross Training today. I'm not quite sure why, but I think my last one left a me feeling a little unaccomplished. I got it into my head that I needed to take a "Class". I didn't care what type of class, but I needed to be surrounded by other people who had a like minded goal and aiming for the same purpose: To kick our own butts and get fit!


I knew I had a free pass to Airobics, a one-hour boot camp style trampoline class, but every since my favorite instructor left I haven't been able to go back.

I had purchased a Groupon for 5 classes at this small dance/fitness studio near my house, Time 4 Class studio, MONTHS ago. I took a couple zumba classes and a yoga class there back when I first got it, but their prices are a little expensive (they're actually average, I just don't like paying to work out), so I never bought any packages. I thought that I could justify paying $15 for a class this one time, because I really wanted to do it. So, I checked out their schedule for this morning and they had a 9am Zumba and a 9am spin class.

Now, normally I would have picked Zumba all the way!!! But lately, I've been trying new things and liking them (minus Saturday night's dinner fiasco)... so I figured... Why not give Spin Class a try?!?!

After eating a quick breakfast ( 1/2 a banana and a glass of almond milk), and putting away the mass amounts of clean laundry I had sitting in my room (Thanks Mom!!!) I got dressed and headed over.

When I got there, I got the best news ever... I STILL HAD 2 FREE CLASSES!!! I have to use them up by this Friday (What are the odds?!?!). So, I decided to use one for today, and I haven't quite figured out how I am going to use the other class just yet.

When I got into the studio, it was just me and the instructor, Cassie. She was REALLY nice. She helped adjust my seat for and gave me some good pointers on form and pacing (There's Form and Pacing for this stuff?!!?! I thought we were just riding a bicycle!). She also made an awesome effort to remember my name and correct me throughout the workout. I always appreciate this, because my form and posture are pretty terrible, and I always worry about injuries.

Finally some other girls showed up (there was a total of 6 of us, including the instructor) and it was Time 2 Spin!!!

After about 5 minutes all I could think was, "What did I sign myself up for?!?!" And that was only the warm up! I mean, it was SOOO not what I expected but in a very good way :)  I think i broke the cardinal rule about working out, and I jumped out of the gate with a little too much umph! I had to remember that this was my first time, and that I needed to pace myself.

I found my groove, and made it through the entire class. I wasn't really a fan of this instructor's music choices. She played a lot of songs that I didn't really know or that didn't feel like they had a good, steady, RPM to me. But she did have some good ones. My favorite was sprinting to Madonna's "Ray of Light"... I haven't heard that song in forever!!! (I will be adding it to my run play list)

I felt like this class was really geared towards beginners, which was wonderful! I never felt like the class was going too fast, or that I couldn't keep up at all during the entire hour. The other nice thing about spinning is that you can set your own resistance. If I ever felt like I wasn't pushing myself hard enough, or that I was pushing myself too hard... I could adjust my own nob. You can't see what anyone else's resistance is set at, so you have no way to compare it :)
By the time I got done with class I was drenched in sweat and starving!!! ( I meant to take a picture but forgot :( ). I had to run a quick errand on my way home, so I was trying to get that done so I could go home and eat! Today was my Mom's birthday and I had to stop to get her something



I love my Mama, and I'm really sad that I didn't get to spend today with her... But I did call her at work twice, just to bother her. This woman means so much to me, and there is not a day that goes by that I don't thank God for giving her to me. <3

My Meals:

After my errands were run I ate breakfast, showered and headed to Job #1 (Chili's). For breakfast I had oatmeal, with peanut butter, banana and honey! Before heading to job #2 I had a DELICIOUS salad . I've been on quite the salad trip lately. They're easy to make and sooo filling. This one had:


Kale, Spinach, Tomatoes, Corn, Asparagus, Lentils, Tofu, Avocado, Brown rice, Cayenne pepper, and a little bit of Trader Joe's Soy Vay Teriyaki sauce.

I literally could have eaten 3 of these things... it was so delicious.

Then it was off to job 2. I had grapes as a mid day snack, and then had a  Grilled Yam and Vegetable kabob for dinner. Mom grilled them for me yesterday while her and my Step-dad made dinner for themselves... THANKS MOM!!!!


I finished out my day with a yummy blueberry, strawberry, Greek yogurt and honey parfait that I forgot to take a picture of and a late night snack of an orange. 

Another delicious day!

Tomorrow I am hoping to finish an 8 mile run (if I do not wake up to sore). As is, I am already feeling the spin class in my thighs, butt and lady bits.  We shall see.

Have you ever tried a spin class?!?! Did you like it?!?! What races will you all be running this year?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment