Tuesday, July 31, 2012

End of the Month Recap/ Three Things Tuesday

It's the last day of July :( I can't believe my favorite month has gone by so fast!!! I actually feel like this whole year is going by too fast, but July was particularly swift this year...

Any-who...Today has been an extremely long day... so I am going to try to make this as short as possible (I know I've said that before...)

Here goes my Three things for this Tuesday....

1. So, I have been tracking my miles on Daily Mile for the past month and I really enjoy using it. It is like facebook, but solely for tracking your exercise.They have fun little calorie trackers (like how many donuts you've burned), and motivators you can send to friends.
For the Month of July I:


     Burned 91.28 donuts!!!
Completed 28 work outs in 31 days!!! (That's 90%)
Ran 132 miles 

I'm really proud of myself for these accomplishments. I have never completed that percentage of work outs before, and I've never logged my miles... but I'm pretty sure I've never run that many miles in that amount of time. I'm looking forward to trying to be it for the month of August.


2. I love watching the Olympics!!! (especially men's swimming.... THEY ARE SOOO BEAUTIFUL!!!).


I know I haven't talked much about it, and that's probably because I haven't been able to watch as much as I would have liked to. But I feel like every time I have been able to watch, the USA teams are competing! Coincidence?!?!? maybe not. I've watched some Volleyball, Swimming and Gymnastics, but I'm really looking forward to the Track and field events coming up on Friday :) I think USA has a wonderful woman's gymnastics team, and those girl inspire me... especially Gabby and Kayla!!! (I also just happened to watch them perform).

I just find watching all of the events to be so inspiring... and it makes me want to push myself even further than I already am. I cant even imagine what it must feel like to compete on an Olympic stage.

Who knows, at the rate I'm going, maybe one day I'll be "Christina Cummings, Olympic Gold Medalist"

3. On Tuesday Nights I volunteer with a Domestic Violence/ Sexual Assault agency as a client advocate. Basically I answer phone calls on our 24/7 hot line, and when necessary, I respond to hospitals that have patients who have recently been abused or assaulted (it's called an accompaniment- I accompany the survivor to the hospital). Tonight was my first Domestic Violence accompaniment. It sort of shook me to the core. It was unlike any experience I have ever had in my life. I had to watch a woman, only a few years older than myself) get 40 stitches in the right side of her face. Her partner decided to hit her in the face with a glass cup and shattered the cup... all over a 10 dollar bill..

I don't always get really emotional on accompaniments, but I almost cried about 3 times watching this poor woman experience this. She was in so much, and was going through so many emotions in the 5 hours that I spent with her... and all I could do was tell her that she did the right thing by calling the police.

I will never understand why any feels that violence and aggression is going to solve their problems. Experiencing things like this really makes me appreciate all the love, compassion and understand I have in my life. I was never hit as child, and hardly ever had a voice raised to me. I have been lucky enough to have a partner who treats me with unconditional love and respect. Tonight, I will say a prayer for my survivor and every man, woman or child who is suffering from Domestic Violence or Sexual Assault.

I don't want to end on such a serious and somber note... so here is a happy one....


Which Olympic sport are you looking most forward to seeing?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment