Friday, July 20, 2012

Happy Friday! (For what it was)

Today was a really rough day for me emotionally. I woke up this morning with the news about the shooting in Aurora, Colorado. Although I've never been to Colorado, and I did not know anyone who was harmed in the shooting. I still took the news very hard. I will never understand what causes someone to blindly cause harm to another person. My heart goes out to everyone who was personally touched by this tragedy.

Listening to the radio announcements on my way into work this morning really got me thinking about how precious life is. We go around blindly expecting that each day we are going to wake up  and have the opportunity to continue to do what we have been doing. The truth of the matter is that you really never know what is going happen at any given moment.

I hate that events like this have to happen to remind of me this simple fact. I spent the majority of the morning thinking about the things that I am Grateful For (so much in fact that I had my clients do an entire exercise on it in group today).

I'm Grateful for My Family. They have really showed me the true meaning of unconditional love. They have supported me through everything I have ever done and been my rock in some of the most difficult times in my life.











I'm grateful that I have found the Love of My Life. This man has stuck with me through every up and down, and he still loves me for all of my imperfections. Without him, I do not know who I would be today....











I'm Grateful for all of the Opportunities that I have been afforded in my life... most recently the chance to attend UCLA and earn my MSW.








Finally, I am Grateful for the fact that I gained the understanding that striving to be healthy is far more attractive, admirable and worthy than striving to be skinny. It has taken me a very long time to really understand the difference and importance of these two things, and in many ways I am still working on this. But today I can say that I am healthy and comfortable in my own body for the first time in a long term. I am also grateful that I figured this out before suffering a detrimental health concern. 










Enough of the mushy stuff... I am also Grateful that I am completing my workouts!!! Yesterday was a nice recovery day. I planned a 3 mile run and some strength training. The idea was to complete the run as fast as I could (aiming for a race pace run 25-26 minutes). I was PUMPED during my run and really felt like I was flying. I was disappointed when I looked at my watch and saw 27:02 :(  There really is not feeling worse than that moment. I mean, a 9 minute mile is nothing to turn my nose at, but I thought I was giving it more. These last couple races have me nervous about my Half Marathon next weekend. I'm hoping I can get it together by then :/. Either way, I boosted confidence by doing an ab workout for 15 minutes after. 


I found this AWESOME app that is FREE for iphones. It's called Nike Training Camp (NTC). It's basically a set of 15, 30, or 45 minute exercises that are timed and organized precisely. When you start the workout the automated "coach" gives you tips on how to increase the effectiveness of your workout, and alerts you to when the round is almost over. There has to be over 100 exercises when you look at them all together. Yesterday, I decided to try the Ab Burner. 


It was 1 min of toe touches
          1 min of Russian twists
          30 sec plank
          1 min modified side plank
          1 min crazy Ivans
          30 secs recover  .. you repeat this 2 more times for a total of 15 minutes


It was a pretty Intense 15 minutes, but a really good mix-up from my regular ab routine.

Now, if you're anything like me... you have NO idea what most of these workouts are. Thankfully NTC provides you with little videos of insanely toned women modeling the exercises. I also like that it is a timed thing, and not about how many reps you complete. It allows you to go at your own pace and improve as you go. I'm really excited to try other workouts and continue to work on my strength training and toning.

In Food News... I've been slightly obsessed with using corn in my salads lately. It's summer time, and for some reason I always crave more corn. I think it reminds me of BBQ's, pool parties and other good stuff. Plus, its delicious and good for you!!!

I also got a little creative with dinner tonight :)... OK, so it's not really creative, but it is outside of the box from what I normally make. Veggie Pasta with Vegetarian Italian Sausage....IT WAS DELICIOUS!!! I actually thought it was a little bland, but Tyler assured me it was good! That was only after he made fun of me because I prefer to eat my food out of a bowl than off of a plate. 
How do you like to eat your food?!





No comments:

Post a Comment