Saturday, July 21, 2012

I miss Cartoon Saturday.

Awww Saturday....

What happened to the time in my life where Saturday meant sleeping in, watching cartoons and eating a GIANT bowl of fruit loops while spending the remainder of my days in my pajamas?!?!?!

My Saturday consisted of Waking up at 6:30am, spending the morning with Tyler (not complaining), doing a work out, having a brief Target shopping run date with my best friend from out of town and then prepping my meals to go to my night shift. I AM WIPED OUT!!! Don't get me wrong, I had a great day... but I am just so exhausted.

Anyways... My workout for today was another variation of my CIRCUIT BUSTER!!! cross training routing. I mixed riding the stationary bike for 15 minutes with 5 minutes of strength training moves. I tried another set of workout from the Nike Training Club app that I downloaded the other. Today I tried 5 minutes of their "leaner legs" work out : 


1min alternating step back lunges,
1 min drop squat jumps,
1 min dead lift,
1 min jump wood chops,
1 minute side lunges with rotation




This set incorporated a lot of moves that I already do, so I thought it was good for my first time. However, I did find the Jump wood chops a little difficult. They're basically a jump squat that you do with a weight. When you come up, you bring the weight above your head like you're chopping an axe. I had to do these pretty slowly. 

For round 2 I completed the first 5 minutes of their "Core Crunch" work out:

1 min V-Ups
1 min Full extensions
1 min Suitcases
1 min Side Plank Crunches
1 min Frogger with Swivel

The app states that this should be done with a medicine ball, but I found that I could do all, except the suitcases, without it. Most of these moves are ones that I have NEVER used before, so this set left me feeling a little hard on myself. I actually think my mistake might have been starting with working on my leg workouts. I was having trouble holding them up for the the full extensions and the suitcases.I had the most trouble with the Frogger's For whatever reason, I just could NOT get it together for this one. Overall, I plan on trying this set again. You know what they say... Practice makes perfect!

For my third round I decided that I had tried enough "New Stuff" and did my normal Circuit Buster!!! routine (10 sit ups, 20 lunges, 25 squats, 30 crunches, and 80 jumping jacks). I finished off my workout with 10 more minutes on the bike.

Over all, I hate cross training days compared to just going out for an hour long run, but I know I need to do more strength training. I will try something new Tuesday, and hopefully it wont be so rough on me :/ This is a picture of me struggling through my work out...




After my workout I made a DELICIOUS Morning Star Chick'n Salad with corn, tomatoes, avocado and mushrooms.


After I ate I met my bff, Talia, at Target to pick up some essentials. While I was there, I started thinking about what I was going to use to help fuel me during my Half Marathon THAT IS IN LESS THAN A WEEK!!! I don't usually fuel on a run, not even with water most of the time, but it is recommended by pretty much every athlete when running for longer than an hour. I figured I would at least look at my options, and I came across these little guys....




They are pretty much caffeinated, sugar cubes!!! I think I have tried them before, but I cant remember. I got the two flavors that Target had (Strawberry and Black Cherry). For 3 blocks (there is 6 in a pack) you get 50 mg of caffeine, and 100 calories with 24 grams of carbohydrates. Since I am hoping to complete the Half Marathon in 2 hours... I'm thinking that at the end of hour I should chew my first and then eat another one at 1:20, and my last one at 1:40... Most of the reviews on them are positive, and they are 95% organic.... I am excited to try them this week and see how they stand up to the test :)







Well, tomorrow is another 5.28 mile run, I only have 4 more runs to get this right before the half marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment