Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Wrap-Up Wednesday

Happy Wednesday Everybody!!!

I hope you all had a great day. And for those of you in Southern California, I hope that you got to enjoy the AMAZING weather that we had today!!! I’m not sure if anyone else enjoys it… but today’s weather was my favorite type. It was overcast and drizzly all day, but still warm outside!

I started my day with an hour long Circuit Buster workout in my bedroom. I was really tired, but I forced myself out of bed to get it done (aren’t you proud of me?!?!). I did 15 minutes on the bike, 5 minutes of push ups, crunches, squats, lunges and jumping jacks. Then did 10 minutes on the bike, repeated the 5 minute sequence. Repeated that interval, and finished with 10 more minutes on the bike. I feel like I probably could have pushed myself harder… but hey, its my first week back in action… I can’t go full throttle the first week.

After my workout I showered and had my usual Oatmeal breakfast and headed for my first day at my internship!!!

The agency I will be interning for is called Communities in Schools. They provide counseling, case management, gang intervention and drop out prevention services to active teen gang members between the ages of 15 and 25. There are a lot of things that are going to be very different about this experience, but I'm really looking forward to working with this agency.
Today was a slightly depressing day. I usually try not to get my hopes too high... but I cant help but feel a little let down. I think I spent the majority of the day doing NOTHING! The kids are all in the middle of a training right now, and there really wasn't any thing for us to do. It felt too awkward just standing around watching them and not being able to participate. Our field instructor left after a couple hours, so we were left to just sit in his office for the majority of the morning.
Thankfully there were two other interns there that had been there since May.We went to lunch at Wing Stop. I brought my lunch and ate my usual lentil salad. Although they helped orient us to some of the key things about the internship... it was also kind of sad. They both felt like they did not learn anything from the agency and did not have a whole lot of positive things to say about their experience so far. I'm trying to stay positive and am hoping that their experience is different from what mine will be. They were present over the summer, when there was less for them to do, and they're 2nd years. I would imagine that my expectations would be higher at that level.
I spent my evening answering calls and talking to people at the Suicide prevention center. It was really busy tonight, so I still feel like I got to do some type of clinical work today :) On my way to the call center I ate apple slices, celery sticks, hummus, and a tablespoon of natural peanut butter. It didn't make me feel full, but it was yummy.
For dinner I had Tofu, veggies, and quinoa. I always forget that I don't really like quinoa, because it doesn't fill me like other carbs do, but I guess it worked.
For dessert, a Greek yogurt parfait. I'm really exhausted now, so I'm sorry for the quick update. I promise I'll be more animated tomorrow :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment