Saturday, September 29, 2012

A Big Run and a New Recipe

Happy Saturday!!!

I remember being a kid, and being so excited for it to be a Saturday. As an adult, I'm not so sure I'm quite as excited... but I can say that I do some exciting things with my weekend.

I went to bed early last night, and am so thankful that I did. I went out with a couple of my colleagues for dinner and drinks last night at Red Robin's. I knew I had a 10 mile run this morning, so I didn't want to over do it with dinner and drinks. I stuck with a water and their veggie burger and ordered broccoli on the side to substitute my fries. The burger was delicious!!! It had huge pieces of grilled squash and caramelized onions. I didn't eat the entire pattie, or most of the bun, but I was able to stay full for the rest of the evening.

Night time is when I usually deal with my most intense cravings, and last night was no exception. When i got home, I had visions of eating ice cream, pumpkin waffles, and even Popsicles. I knew I wasn't hungry, and I knew that having one snack could lead me to a binge, so I stayed in my bed and just tried to put myself to sleep.

My cravings were so strong, and I even had dreams about binging. I'm not sure if anyone else does this, but I've heard of drug addicts having the same type of issues. The problem is that they are so strong, and real, that you sometimes wake up feeling like you really did do it.


Credits: http://www.travelingfeast.net/tag/food-dreams/






Thankfully, I woke up with no guiLty feelings (like I have before), and was ready to get my 10 mile run on. I ate a banana and some raisins and took one of my Shotbloks for pre-run fuel.

When I got to the park there were TONS of people there. Apparently everyone wanted to take advantage of the gorgeous weather (and the fact that the freeways are shut down for Carmageddon). Initially, I was hesitant and almost talked myself into going home... but I'm glad that I stuck it out and forced myself to stay. The groups that I feared the most, actually ended up being the reason I finished my run.

El Camino Real High School's track team was having a practice there, and so was team in training. At one point, I was able to use them as my own pacers during the run. To be honest, they pushed me pretty hard through miles 4-8.

I made sure I fueled throughout the run, even though it wasn't THAT hot. The only problem is... I've already lost a top to one of my fuel belt bottles :(. I've only had it for like 3 weeks!!! it worked though, I didn't need everything I brought with me.

Anyways, I finished my run strong and actually ended up running almost 10.5 miles :) I was pretty tired though. It's hard to believe that at some point, I'm going to have to run more than twice that!!! But, just like my recovery, I need to take it one run at a time.

On the drive home I had some chocolate mil and as soon as I got home, I made Pumpkin Oatmeal Pancakes. I got the recipe from a blog I follow called Kath Eats Real Food, but I made a couple changes. The recipe called for:

They cooked so fast!

 
 
 
 
 

1/4 cup oats
1/4 cup pumpkin
1/4 cup egg whites
1 tsb cinnamon
1 tsb baking powder
1 tsb vanilla

I added:

1 tbsp slivered almonds
 and roughly an 1/8 cup of almond milk.

They may not look like much, but MMmmm!











OMG... were these good! Instead of using syrup, I used just a spoonful of honey (although, I probably could have used 2). Also, I think using a tsp of cinnamon was a bit much for me, so next time, I think I'm going to use a 1/2 tsp.




Now, I'm spending the rest of the afternoon catching up on blogs and updating my own (duh) before I have to go to work.


No comments:

Post a Comment