Tuesday, September 25, 2012


Oh my God!!!

So, I have been LOCKED out of my blog for the past 4 days!!! I almost thought I was going to have to give up my blog (or start a new one), both options that I did not like at all!!!

The worst part is, I have done A LOT in the past 4 days. I ran 3 separate races, I am continuing to go through Marathon Training, and I've been doing a TON of yoga!

I know I still have half an update from Friday, so I will try to at least finish that one.

I quickly recap the races, and then we'll start fresh tomorrow.

Malibu Dirt Dash 10k Trail Race and 5k Mud Run.

I had to wake up at 5:15am to get to this race on time. I was tired, I was nervous, and quite frankly... I was doubting my ability to complete both of these races. I arrive really early, which was GREAT, because they made us park about a mile away from the registration area (which was another 3/4 mile from the start line!!!). I checked in, walked back to my car to grab my bag of spare clothes, and then trekked back to wait for the start of the race.

Before I knew it... I was off and running! The First 1.5 miles was on nice, flat, shaded land. Then, the incline started! We spent the next 2 miles heading uphill. It wasn't the worst incline I've ever run, but it was a pretty good incline. I owe my entire success to the woman that was pacing our group up and down the mountain. I don't know how she did it, but I am truly thankful for her.

I actually met her after the race. Her name was Tina, and she has been running trail races for quite some time. She will also be running the Turkey Trot race I'm running in on Thanksgiving :) It was really nice to meet someone at a race. I usually sorta keep to myself and just leave when I'm finished.

Anywhoo, when we finally got back to flat land, I was so relieved. We ran about another 3/4 mile, when all of a sudden we cam up to another up hill climb.

This was the moment that I DIED! I was not sure that I was going to reach my goals for this race.

My only goals for this race were:

1. To keep moving the entire time
2. To finish

I was on the verge of breaking down... but I just kept telling myself to put one foot in front of the other. Before I knew it, I was at the top of the hill. From there, it was smooth sailing!!!

All the way down, I felt like I was on cloud 9, I was flying, I was running REALLY fast (well, fast for me!). I even engaged in a little race challenge between two other women that were running at a similar pace. Initially I passed them, but I think I got a little ahead of myself. Before I knew it, I got nauseous, and had to slow down. They passed me, and we still had about a half mile to.

I was getting close to the finish line, when I saw the race clock... I was at 59 minutes and roughly 30 seconds. It was at that moment that I realized I had a third goal...

3. To finish this race in under an hour!!!

I'm not sure where I pulled the strength... but I bolted to the finish line! I clocked in at 59:53 and was completely relived that I had achieved all of my goals (even the one I didn't really know that I had).

45 minutes later... it was time to do the Mud Run!!! Now, I wasn't super excited to do this event anyways... but after I BARELY finished the trail run, I was SUPER not ready to do the Mud Run. I took it REALLY slow. My stomach was having issues, my legs were exhausted, and there was some idiot trying to give out training advice to people, and just being a general A-hole about it throughout the entire course. Once I finally got to the first obstacle, I got more in the spirit.

To make a long story short... it was fun. I don't know that I'd EVER do it again. Well, at least not alone. I saw so many other GROUPS of people that were wearing matching shirts and stuff... and they looked like they were having so much more fun than I was.

Either way... I survived... kinda.

The next day it was time for the Didi Hirsch Alive and Running 5k. I went with the WHOLE family (Mom, Ray, Aunt Cindy and Tyler). I also got to meet up with my friend Sandra while I was there. I didn't initially have any intention on "racing" the whole thing, but once I got going, I couldn't stop.

I would up completing the race in 26:10. I'm not sure if that's a PR for me or not, but I was SUPER happy with it. I spent the rest of the weekend relaxing and preparing for the week ahead.

Things at my internship have gotten better. I finally got my first client :) and I think things are starting to look up. I still have to deal with some issues with my field instructors, but I figured I would take it all ONE DAY AT A TIME!!!

I know this was a CRAPPY update, but its all I really have time for. I promise, starting tomorrow, I will get back into my normal swing of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment