Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Vacation Day 5 (Wednesday)

It's so hard to believe that my trip is already half way over... I really don't ever want to leave :( I'm trying hard not to think about it and just enjoy every last minute that I have here.

I actually slept in a little bit today (since when is 8am sleeping in?!?!?!). I had planned an 11 mile run for the day, and I was only half looking forward to completing it. Thankfully, it was still 50 degrees when I headed out, which made me very excited to go (it was probably already 80 at home at that point).

I think the best way to describe my run, was "Sightseeing Bend/ The Deschutes River By Foot". I ran about a mile and a half from my Aunt's house to the beginning of the trial head. From there I followed a dirt path that took me along the left side of the River. I eventually ran all the way up to what Bend calls the "Old Mill District". The way my Aunt Described it to me, is that it use to be a huge land mass with nothing on it until a businessman bought up all of the property and decided to put a shopping center in its place. The architecture of the buildings is really impressive, and it looked like it had some really nice stores and restaurants in it.

The path continued on to an Amphitheater, and then I sort of got lost. I just turned around and kept running until I reached a bridge that took me to the right side of the. I knew I needed to add some junk miles to get the mileage I needed, so I just ran along that portion of river and came back to where I started.

Oh, but that was not the only portion if the trail. I found a more wooded area that ran along the river, so I started running along that. It was kind of exciting, because I believe that it counted as running my first "trail". I was dodging trees and rocks, enjoying the sound of the river and loving every moment of it. after about a mile down the river, there was a foot bridge that lead me over to the opposite side of the river (The one I started this crazy run on). By the time I made it back to the trail head, I had run about 9 miles.

I started to head back to my Aunt's house hoping that I would fill my 11 mile quota without having to go too much further than her property. The only thing I didn't plan too well, was the fact that most of this was UPHILL!!! I thought I was going to die... but I took the rest of the run slowly and just kept telling myself that I just needed to finish!!! Of course right at that moment some young kid came WHIPPING past me, and left me in his dust :(

I still kept trucking and trying to calculate if I was going to be able to go straight to my aunt's house and make my 11 miles. I must of been dazing off because all of a sudden I looked to my right and found this beautiful lady...
Deer that Scared me, and then made me happy :)

To be honest... she scared the shit out of me! She was literally about 10 feet away from me, and I did not want her to think that I was coming after her babies and attack me. But she didn't... she just stood there and posed for me while I took her picture :)

I made it back to my aunt's house with 11.15 miles in 1:41. I can honestly say this was one of the most adventurous and challenging runs I have ever done. By the time I got home, I was completely depleted of all energy and want for anything... Other than food and my bed.

To be honest, I had a bit of an upset stomach and a migraine after this run. I'm not sure if it is the altitude, or the delicious dinner I ate last night... but I was pretty funky. I showered, re hydrated, took some meds and lied down for awhile. Then it was time to get on with the plans for the day...


SHOPPING!!!!

I'm not sure if you all know this... but Oregon has NOOOOOO SAAAAALES TAAAAX!!! So, we decided to take advantage of this generous gift and went to the local Kohl's. I got a couple cute things (yoga pants, a sun dress, a top), but Ray was the one who made out like a bandit! We also hit up TJ Maxx, but I didn't find anything :(

By the time we finished shopping it was already 2 o'clock and we hadn't eaten lunch. Mexican food is kind of a big deal in my family, so my Aunt took us to a Mexican place that she likes called El Rancho Grande.

Since we have been making a habit of it, we found a nice little table outside. The weather is so nice out here, it would be a shame to eat indoors. The name of this restaurant says it all. First off, they brought us Chips and Salsa (duh... its a Mexican Restaurant). But this was no ordinary chips and salsa... This was the BEST order of Chips and Salsa I have ever had in my entire life!!!! The salsa was perfectly spicy and had so much real flavor!!! The chips were perfectly fried, with barely any salt on them... just how I like it :) We went through 2 baskets between the 4 of us

For lunch, I ordered the Enchilada plate with black beans and requested that they add avocado. 
I would love to say that I didn't demolish this entire plate... but other than about 8 bites... I DID!!! And I don't regret a single bite. Each of us ate until we stuffed ourselves with delicious Mexican food!!! To help get rid of some of the "full tummy" feeling, we took some Goofy pictures with the giant bulls that were in and outside of the restaurant!
Then we went to Best Buy to try to look for a new lap top for me, since I killed mine at the beginning of the trip. I think I found one that I want, but I wasn't comfortable picking it up today and decided I needed to sleep on it. Big purchases make me nervous... :/

Our last trip of the day was to the CUTEST outdoor market that they call the "Fruit Loop". It's all organic farmers from Central Oregon who come out every week to sell their goods. We bought fresh jellies, fruits, veggies, and COOKIES!!! The only thing that sucked was the fact that i was too full to taste test all of the delicious samples they had out :(

I promise their are more pictures to come, but I still cant upload them yet. I was still full until 8 tonight! We had already agreed that we were eating left overs tonight, because we still had so much pasta and pizza left over from previous meal that we needed to eat up. I made myself a spinach, strawberry, blueberry, cucumber and tomato salad to start and then had a little of each of the pasta and pizza. 

Now, I'm going to go sample some of the cookies we bought for dessert :)

The

No comments:

Post a Comment