Saturday, August 4, 2012

Getting in The Zone!!!

The appropriate title for this entry would be "Trying not to fall out of The Zone". For the last couple of days I feel like I have REALLY been struggling to stay motivated, keep with my plan and watch my food intake. I'm not sure if it's work stress, over exertion, or just my PMS... but I'm am OVER being health right now!!!

When I am at my most "with it" during my trainings... I like to say that I am "In the Zone"... Now, what is "The Zone" you ask... I will tell you!!!

For me... The Zone is when I feel like I am loving every work out I have, and am absolutely looking forward to the next one that follows. It means that I am trying new workouts to challenge my self physically as well as trying new recipes and food items to try to help with my diet. It's when I am fueling my body with what it needs, not what it wants. It's when I feel good about myself and the things that I am accomplishing.

Now, that may not sound like a lot, but when you try to put that all together, and make it happen consistently... it is A LOT more difficult than it sounds. I think the last time I was really in The Zone was about 3 weeks ago... and it only lasted for about a week.

For the past few days, I think The Zone and I have been on different continents. (Get it?! like time zones!!!... OK not funny). I have been dreading my exercises and not feeling good about any of the ones I complete. I found myself giving in to cravings or convincing myself that I can have a little more because, "I worked so hard". To be honest... all I wanted to do yesterday was crawl into bed with a tub of ice cream and not leave until it was done....So I improvised.
After leaving work yesterday an HOUR AND A HALF late I completely missed the Spin Class that I wanted to take (the class started at 6 and I was just leaving work at 6... FAIL). Work has been exhausting lately, and yesterday was no exception. Needless to say, I was not in the mood to do anything at all  to go for a run or sit in my own bedroom and pedal while watching television (somehow this idea does not sound so bad to me now...). I tried to force myself to do SOMETHING that sounded good, and was not going to require all of the little energy I had remaining.


When I got home at 7:15pm my mom suggested getting in the pool. This sounded like the best idea EVER! I could handle doing some laps for a few minutes more than I could putting on workout clothes and breaking up a sweat. So I changed into one of my suits, and channeled my inner Missy Franklin and hit the pool.
       

                      (Yes I have been watching too many Olympic Games... GO TEAM USA!!!)

I was nowhere near as graceful as Missy, and I probably only swam about 200m... but I felt like I had accomplished something! To make it more fun my mom joined me in the pool. We began racing each other to either end of the pool. To challenge myself I use one of the fun noodles and only used my legs to propel me. We did about 4 races to both ends of the pool, and my legs (and surprisingly my arms) definitely felt it.

I got out, made myself a yam and veggie stir fry... grubbed and fell asleep watching the Olympics and eating a bowl of cookies and cream ice cream (oops!) somewhere between 9:30 and 10:30. I was so exhausted that I slept in until 10:45 today.... I think my body was trying to tell me something (You need more sleep, crazy!!!).

I was a little upset with myself when I finally rolled out of bed, because this meant that I was going to have to run in the heat. I had already sorta copped out on my Friday work out, I couldn't do it today too! I made it out of bed and into my running gear all ready to complete a 6.5 mile run, as planned. I walked out the door, and it wasn't as sweltering as I had thought it was going to be. There was  a light breeze and everything... I had definitely run in hotter. I felt like I had a pretty steady pace going for the majority of the run when all of a sudden it hit me.. RUNNER'S TROT!!! (If you don't know what it is... be Thankful!)

I'm not sure what it was, but around mile 4 I had to go to the bathroom, and I had to go BAD!!! There are no bathrooms past mile 3 on my run for me to stop so I had to rethink my plan and head home. I tried to go as long as I could, but I ended up only being able to complete my usual 5 mile run. Still a good workout, but not what I had in mind :/

I barely made it home without having an "accident" and felt relieved! I also felt famished! I made myself some oatmeal (I started using almond milk in my oats as well as water... it makes them MUCH tastier) and then changed my clothes and watched some more Olympics before heading to work.


I watched the men's 10,000m (10k/6.2m) race this morning and felt even worse about my short changed run. Farahi, from Britain, came in First with a time of just over 27 minutes!!! I don't know about you all, but this just sounds completely insane to me! His American training partner, Rupp, took silver right behind him. I know I wont EVER be able to match these men in speed... but man, how awesome would that be!!!

(Rupp and Farahi)

I decided to try and mix things up today and made a smoothie for lunch to take to work with me. I think it might have been the Trots talking... I just wanted something that would go easy on my tummy for the rest of the day.
My recipe was:

1/3 cup of blueberries
1/2 cup of frozen pineapple
1/4 cup of Kale
1/8 avocado

This was not my original recipe... but it turned out to be pretty good :) I had intended to put WAY more Kale and to add Greek yogurt, but my stupid Magic Bullet was not large enough to hold all of the ingredients! However, the consistency of the muscle milk made it work just fine :) This was my first time trying any type of Muscle Milk. I got it as one of the food gifts from the Seashore Half Marathon and I decided to try and use it.

A couple hours later I was hungry again, so I munched on some cherries and grapes and couple graham crackers (not pictured). Much like my trip to the swimming pool, this was my first batch of cherries for the summer  (Thanks mom!!!)


For dinner I had my usual yam and veggies stir fry. I added the Kale I couldn't get into my smoothie into my dinner. As usual... it was delicious.
I'm planning on doing my 6.5 mile run tomorrow, even if it kills me! Hopefully my stomach will

No comments:

Post a Comment