Saturday, August 18, 2012

Make Every Woman Count 10k Race Review

Happy Saturday!!!

I hope everyone is doing well and feeling good... Because I know I am :)

I'm updating my blog from the car, on my cell phone. We are currently on our way to Bend, Oregon for a week long vacation of fun an adventure!!! I'm also using my phone because I dropped my lap top while I was packing :/ When I opened it in the car, the screen gave me nothing but blurry lines!!! I'm not sure if this problem can be fixed or not, but I think I may be buying a new laptop while in Bend. My heart stopped, but to find an upside to this, Oregon have lower sales tax... That's a plus, right?!?!

As you can tell by my title, I ran another race this morning!!! I have to be honest, this was one of my favorite races to compete in. It was a 10k, and all of the proceeds went to the West Valley Breast Cancer Center to help fund for breast examinations for clients who can't afford it (I love racing for a cause!)

I loved Everything about this race! They had a full out health expo complete with lots of free goodies (my favorite). I think I walked away with 2 bags full of new products to try :) like the activate water I'm drinking now. You twist the cap and it puts fresh vitamins in your water. It's ok in taste...but I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

This course was familiar to me because the event was held at the park that I do my large runs at, But their path was a little bit different from my usual one.

One of my pet peeves is when races don't have clear track markers or mile markers on the course. This was NOT an issue with this race. This course was a little confusing, but they made sure they had markers and volunteers cheering at every twist and turn. This was so helpful, and I know I really appreciated it. They also had plenty of water stations along the course, Thankfully. For the first time ever, I used almost all of them!!!

My only complaint about this race was that it started too late. The 10k start time was 8:10am!!! It was already warm and humid at 7:15am. It made this run more challenging... But I suppose that's not a bad thing.

I feel I ran this race really well. I was worried that I broke the cardinal rule of racing and started too strong for mile 1 and 2. I didn't want to end up dropping out early, but I held my own pretty well. Mile 3 I was starting to feel the heat and started getting flashbacks to my long run from Wednesday. I muscled up trying to keep pace with another runner and moved forward.

The first water station was at mile 3. I drank a little, and poured most of it on my head. (did I mention it was hot?!?!) Mile 4 was fine, and I maintained my pace. There was another water stop a half a mile up so I took another cup and poured it on me.

Mile 5 was rough. I was hot, here was NO shade and my legs started to weaken and I felt like I was losing steam... But when I saw the marker for mile 6, and I saw 49:37 on my watch... I pushed on my reserve stores!

In the last .2 miles I was neck and neck with a younger guy who gave me quite the challenge. I pushed as hard as I could and crossed the finish line at 51:12 ( a new PR!!!). This race was chipped through the bib ( another race bonus!!!) so I will have their official results soon too.

This race was also really special because my grandparents came out to watch! Usually I don't have anyone at my races, and it was so nice to have them there supporting me!

I picked up the last of my free goodies and headed home to shower and finish packing!!! This race also wins best shirt given out to participants :) I hope they offer this race again, because I will surely compete.

Super Comfy!!!


All in all, a good morning (minus the death of my lap top). I'm really looking forward to the rest of my vacation :)

I hope you guys can see my pictures... I've never updated from my phone before. There will be more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment