Thursday, October 4, 2012

Manic Monday!

Hi Everyone.

Today was a really long day, but it was pretty good. It started with a nice 30 minute easy run this morning. One of my colleagues from my internship mentioned that she wanted to start getting into the habit of working out again, so I invited her along. Normally I avoid letting people run with me (I'm self conscious and sort of a control freak when it comes to my runs), but I really like Sederia, and I thought that it might be nice to have someone join me. I get really anxious and upset if I don't get to finish a workout the way I planned it, and it has been my experience that often, working out with a friend ends in me frustrated and upset.

I'm really glad that I made that decision, and that Sederia followed through and showed up at to my house at 6:15am. I didn't get to run my normal route, but I was ok with it. She was really understanding about me wanting to do my training, and was ok if I ran a bit ahead of her. I usually circled back so that she didn't get lost :). When Sederia left I did some upper arms yoga to make for a well rounded work out.

I wont bore you with the details of how my internship went, but lets just say that it ended with a very uncomfortable home visit to my client's house. My client and her mother have a very volatile relationship, and It made me very thankful for the relationship that I have with my mother. (Thank You mom, I Love you).

Later that evening, I went with Sederia to an AA meeting. No, we're not alcoholics, she was doing an assignment for school. Sitting in the meeting got me thinking about some of my own triggers that challenge me in my own recovery.

Obviously, there are certain foods that are just immediate triggers for me. Pretty much anything in the Delicious Dessert category is bound to send me into a binge. This is something that I really want to work on, especially since the holidays are coming up. There will be more to come on how I plan on tackling this task.

Stress, is another big and unavoidable trigger for me. I think I've gotten a pretty good hold on my stress triggers lately. When ever I start craving foods, I usually try to check in to what is going on externally that may be affecting it.

One of my major triggers for a binge/purge is waiting until the point of starvation to eat. If I know I am not going to be home for the majority of a day (which happens frequently), I usually do my best to try and prepare PLENTY of meals and snacks to take with me. Sometimes things just don't work out, and before I know it, I'm starving!!! Lately I have been catching myself doing this more and more. I need to start paying more attention and having more easy to eat snacks handy for such moments.

Do you have any triggers?! How do you try to avoid them?!

No comments:

Post a Comment