Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Going with the Flow


Hey There!

How is your week going? Can you believe it's already the last day of February?

Mine? Emotionally so far, it has been a WRECK.

Since Sunday I've been feeling really off in my mood. Work has been really stressful lately with things not going the way I want or would like them too, and it seems like every time I think I have things figured out SOMETHING comes along and messes it all up! I consider myself to be a fairly adaptable person, but for this week... it's just plain annoying. Sometimes I wonder if the more adaptable you ARE the more adaptable people expect you to BE. Thoughts?!?!

Ok, let's shift moods and talk about some healthy movements, shall we?

Mondays have come to be my Cross Training day in my workouts, and today was no exception. I've been really enjoying these random body weight circuit training workouts from Popsugar Fitness. They have TONS to choose from (including ones that use actual weights).

All of the workouts I've completed have 3 circuits with 3 exercises in each. You are suppose to do each circuit 3 times before moving on to the next one. I toyed around with the idea of running through all 3 circuits once and then repeating it two more times, but I like returning to the moves quicker in order to  improve my form by repeating the one circuit 3 times before moving on to the next one. (Did that make sense?)

I have done a different one every week for the past 6 weeks or so. Each one is deceptively challenging, and this one did not disappoint.


Im not sure why, but that first circuit was insanely difficult! It was probably those runners lunges and the fact that all 3 workout required using your arms for stabilization. My shoulders, biceps and triceps were really sore by the end of the third round. I've gotten some really great definition in my arms lately, but I still really lack the strength to do that darn elbow plank reach.  

This was completely reaffirmed with my post run workout today!

On the schedule I had a 5 mile run. It was really cold out this morning (39 degrees) when I headed out the door, and I was desperate to move fast and warm up. Im finding that I always love the way I feel on my Tuesday runs (aka the days after cross trainings). My legs always feel refreshed/ready to run and I tend to finish really strong.  


Displaying IMG_5053.JPG  Displaying IMG_5051.JPG                    Displaying IMG_5052.JPG


I'm sorry... is that a 7:45 pace for my 5th mile?!?!?!?!?! Why yes, I believe it is! My 2nd mile was partially uphill (that little 8:53 mile in there), but that is still an amazing time with or without the hill. Everything just felt right about this run. The only thing that always trips me up is my breathing in the first mile on really cold mornings. I've considered getting a balaclava to help, but I just feel like its not cold enough for long enough in the year to need one. My lungs will probably hate me for it later. 

When I got back home I did a quick in home circuit training  Standing Core Workout with the 5 lb medicine ball I have at home.

I didn't follow the pins directions exactly, but instead set my interval timer for 45 seconds on and 15 seconds of rest and did 10 rounds (10 minute workout total). After doing the above pictured workouts I added a regular plank, alternating side planks and a reverse plank.

Lessons from this workout:

1. I do not like sumo squat crunches (In hind sight this may have been due to me standing wide    enough for the move)

2. I have no idea how to do the torso twist front chop in lunge (ie.. research your workouts and practice before attempting a move)

3. I can not hold a side plank (on either side) for 45 seconds

Note to self: Gotta get to work on that upper body strength goal and continue to work on my planks.  
 Overall It felt really good and I enjoyed having a good time in my workout today. 

In Self Confidence News:
I am definitely starting to feel some definition in my legs, thighs and butt that hasn't ever been there before. It may just be me, but I feel like my glutes are A LOT firmer than usual. My dresses have been feeling shorter and I can feel the definition in my hamstrings in a way that I've never noticed. I feel like the difference is the addition of regular strength training to my workout routines. This is the first time I've ever been consistent with it for more than a month. I usually get bored or just hate it after a couple weeks and do see the true results. I'm really proud of myself for sticking with my goals on this one.

What are some things that you're working on in your routine (workout or non workout related?)

What is one thing that you can compliment yourself on today?

No comments:

Post a Comment